NCHE Homeless Education HelplineFor assistance with an issue related to the education of a child or youth experiencing homelessness, contact the NCHE homeless education helpline toll-free at (800) 308-2145 or email@example.com.
Assistance is available in English and Spanish. | Ayuda está disponible en inglés y español.
Download the NCHE Homeless Education Listserv and Helpline brochure.
The NCHE Helpline offers assistance to
- Community organizations and people interested in networking on behalf of homeless children and their families.
- Parents needing contact information concerning school enrollment, transportation and other school-related issues, shelter locations, social services, health departments, and other community services.
- People with an interest in federal and state legislation protecting the rights of homeless children and youth to a free and appropriate public education.
- School personnel seeking information about homeless education programs, McKinney-Vento legislation, or promising practices in homeless education.
- Shelter providers seeking assistance for homeless families with school enrollment and access to appropriate educational opportunities.
HUD Housing Counseling Referral Service: 1-800-569-4287
HUD sponsors approved housing counseling agencies that provide housing counseling services to citizens for free. Call 1-800-569-4287 to find a counselor that serves your neighborhood.
HUD Housing Discrimination Hotline: 1-800-669-9777
Call this helpline for information on filing a complaint about housing discrimination. HUD handles complaints in the areas of housing discrimination, bad landlords in federal housing, manufactured housing, land sales, deceptive contractors, and fraud, waste, or abuse in HUD programs.
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE
This hotline provides crisis intervention, information about domestic violence and referrals to local service providers to victims of domestic violence and those calling on their behalf.
National Runaway Safeline: 1-800-786-2929
The National Runaway Switchboard (NRS) helpline gives help and hope to youth and their families by providing non-judgmental, confidential crisis intervention and local and national referrals 24 hours a day.
United Way of America: 1-800-892-2757
The United Way of America operates local United Way chapters in many communities across the country. Call 1-800-892-2757, press 0 to speak with the operation, and ask for the phone number of the local United Way chapter in your area. Local United Way chapters often operate local information and referral lines. These helplines gather information and local service agencies that can help in times of crisis.
⇑ back to top